Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

26.6.06

d*s reader rec extravaganza

bloom

i'm listening to lily allen and finishing up an interview with textile goddess judy ross this morning so i'm going to collect some reader recs this morning and see if anyone has some ideas for those d*s readers in need of design advice. i'll be back in an hour or so, just need to tie up loose interview ends. so, without further adieu:

  • leslie needs some help with a dual religion wedding gift: "Right now I’m having a problem in the gift area. My best friend is getting married at the end of the summer; it’s a Jewish/Hindu ceremony, and I don’t want to get her something off her registry I want to get something more thoughtful and unique. I want to get a gift that combines both religions but that is not religious. I saw the Henna dessert plates on Roseanne’s site (rosanneinc.com) and I love them. But, I’m having real trouble finding something “Jewish” to coordinate with them, maybe another set of four plates, desert spoons etc. So, if you could help I would really appreciate it!"
  • mk needs help with a storm door: "I am currently trying to find an attractive storm/security door for my back door, it needs to have steel metal bars so I feel safe, (my kit door is all glass) but I have yet to find something that doesn’t have a tacky 60's palm springs look, and I was wondering if you or your readers would have any advice? Also I live in a brick 1860’s townhouse, so an ultra-modern may clash…"
  • robyn needs help finding some great fabric: "What are the odds that you'll know of any shop in North America that carries Form & Design's "Bloom" fabric/yardage line?(http://www.form-design.se/bloom_eng.htm) I'm trying to hunt it down but the internet seems to know nothing (!) and Form & Design have yet to reply to my request for a retailer list. I want to buy bunches and bunches of it for bedquits that I'm making, but so far, no luck!
  • and last but not least, kate needs some great montreal design shop recs- any ideas?

[thanks for any suggestions guys!]

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that Lily Allen song. I will have to check out the rest of the album. I'm going to the Pitchfork Music Festival at the end of July, should be awesome! http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com/

9:13 AM  
Blogger julie said...

A nice pair of candlesticks to go with the Henna plates would be great. Not too religious, but Jewish...candlesticks are a must for a Friday night Shabbat dinner and can be used any other day of the week as well.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

bluebox.se carries 'Bloom', but the site is entirely in Dutch. I don't know if they ship to the US, but they do have an email contact you could ask.

9:16 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

i'm fully obsessed with lily now. that song is going to be HUGE. but i dont think the rest of the album will do quite as well. ooh, that festival is tempting now..

d*s

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to see both days of that festival but unfortunately I have a wedding on that Saturday. So I will miss Band of Horses (if you have not already, you must check them out). But at least I will see Spoon on Sunday!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless the 'good' things on the registry are all taken, or the remaining ones are not affordable, what's more thoughtful than getting them what they've asked for?

Otherwise, how do you know you can get the colors/style right? Commission something like a painting or get some really nice cocktail glasses? That's what I've always done. Finding that unique piece is something that you just stumble upon and takes a long time and unless it's a crucifix or a rosary, what religion will be involved with interior accessories?

Whatever you buy, if it's tableware/stemware/flatware remember to buy two extra pieces. So if it's a set of 6 glasses, buy 8-- to alot for breakage.

a concerned reader

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, they don't have their site up, but Memento Objects www.mementoobjects.com makes some really REALLY nice drinking glasses, shot glasses, pitchers, etc. from Murano blown glass. I got some light blue ones. The only problem is that they sell them in sets of 6 ONLY. no extra ones. But you can mix the colors. They have pink, light blue, dark blue, red, purple, yellow, light green, maybe they have a U.S. distributor? They look like a new company though.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Band of Horses IS amazing, just saw them in Minneapolis this month. I was obsessed with their album for about two months straight, and their live show was even better than I imagined. The Pitchfork line up is really unbelievable (ted leo?! yo la tengo?!) but even though we have tickets I'm not sure we can afford the travel. Summer in Chicago is so expensive.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Things Jewish always has a variety of nice stuff.

http://www.allthingsjewish.com

11:31 AM  
Blogger jordan said...

From someone who still has a large pile of lovely but unneeded things in her apartment. Get them something from their registry!
If you want to individualize it, get them something from their registry and spice it up with something cool like a couple place settings with a rad table cloth.

good luck!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former bride all I can say is, buy off the registry. It's so much easier for everyone involved and gives you great insight into what the couple truly would like their home to be like.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on that. I was in my early 30's when I got married and my fiancee and I registered for the things we really needed (and wanted). I can't tell you how hard it was (financially) to have to purchase the remainder of our china (we only received 4 place settings!) when we had just paid for a very expensive wedding. Yet there were many guests who purchased random things like crystal vases, which we already had several of. I'd say definitely buy off the registry, and if you must, throw in something extra to make it personal, such as monogrammed linens.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, I agree with everyone's comments about the registry. If the couple wanted something other than what is on there, they would have registered for it. I totally understand wanting to make your gift personal. I think adding linens is a great idea.
You also might try ordering them some custom letterpressed stationery or notecards with both their names. Take a look at letterpressed, or papersource, or some of the great presses featured on this site--like paper monkey or port2port. Good luck!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it depends whether the Jewish side of the family is Sephardic or Ashkenazi. Look for a cool line of pillows from designer Oorbee Roy, of Om Home. They've a rich Morrocan/Indian look and are available in a vibrant array of colors. You could try at www.maisonneuve.org. Good Luck.

3:08 PM  
Blogger mintyfresh said...

RE: Montreal design shops

Check out Caban (on St. Catherine - near the giant Hudson's Bay and Simons), Simons (a must-visit if you're looking for cute clothes), and a whole slew of cute little design/trinket shops down in old Montreal. There are also some cute boutique-y shops along St. Denis and St. Laurent, depending on what you've got in mind.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anyone that's looking for great fabrics, I totally recommend Ebay. You kind have to dig and search but I've found some real treasures. Vintage ones, of course.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a Seder plate? The candlesticks are a great idea, too. Both items are sure to be functional for years to come.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.jewishsource.com has some interesting Judaica.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys should know after i searched high and low caban does not exist in montreal anymore:)
i learned the hard way. haha

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Caban really *does* exist. It's on the corner of McGill College street and Ste Catherine!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.